Sunday, July 24, 2016

Schupp's Bakery - Chevy Chase, MD

As a youngster growing up in South Florida, I recall my parents bringing back very special sticky buns from their periodic trips to the Chevy Chase MD / Washington DC area.  Our family was from Washington and relocated to South Florida in the late 60's.  The sticky-bun  delicacies were from a now closed facility called Schupp's Bakery.  The bakery closed in 1985, just before I started college at Georgetown.  I recall that the buns were packed in white boxes, maybe 8 to a box, always coming with a bakery-white string neatly tying the box together.  Unlike traditional round sticky buns, these were elongated and braided, rounded on the edges.  They came with and without raisins, with and without nuts.  Mom and dad would bring back boxes for us and anything we couldn’t eat, they would stick in the freezer which would last for months.  A quick trip to the microwave (better in the toaster-oven if you had the patience) and the addition of a pat or two of salted butter, and my sister and I would have a perfect sticky bun for breakfast or after-school snack.  I want to try to make these but I don't have pictures or a recipe.  Does anyone have a lead on finding someone still living from the Schupp's family?  

Barney Danzansky    

1 comment:

Jim Harrod said...

I went to junior high school with Don Schupp. He was a buddy. Funny with jokes. I recall he ran for class president but lost to someone more serious, and not as bright. Don't know if he is still with us. If he ever reads this, all best wishes, from
your buddy, Jim Harrod